Hello list,
while wondering about street-related things with other folks on #osm...@oftc,
we came to the question: why is Relation:associatedStreet needed at all?
(Karlsruhe schema)

I've always used it to associate housenumbers to the given street (I found a
relation more error-proof than addr:street), but then we thought then no new
type of relation is needed for this ([0] and [1], for example).

 [0]: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relations/Proposed/Street
 [1]: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relations/Proposed/Collected_Ways

In fact, we already have a relation for grouping a street together (various
segments + "links"). That's Relation:route, with route=road. What about a
"house" role to include housenumbers there?

I already did a couple of those (don't know whether Mapnik renders them, but
who cares -- and they're really 2-3 cases), but I'm seeking for some kind of
discussion (maybe a consensus?) before making a more formal proposal.

Ideas?

Kindly,
David

--