2010/9/1 David Paleino <da...@debian.org>:
> Hello list,
> while wondering about street-related things with other folks on #osm...@oftc,
> we came to the question: why is Relation:associatedStreet needed at all?
> (Karlsruhe schema)
>
> I've always used it to associate housenumbers to the given street (I found a
> relation more error-proof than addr:street), but then we thought then no new
> type of relation is needed for this ([0] and [1], for example).
>
>  [0]: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relations/Proposed/Street
>  [1]: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relations/Proposed/Collected_Ways
>
> In fact, we already have a relation for grouping a street together (various
> segments + "links"). That's Relation:route, with route=road. What about a
> "house" role to include housenumbers there?

I'm not sure if you're suggesting we use the proposed relation Street
(that already has a "house" role) or the approved relation Route.
Anyway, both of them seem a good choice to me. On the other hand,
associatedStreet is in fact a special-purpose relation and may be
replaced by one of those.

> Kindly,
> David

Regards,