On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 8:21 AM, Antony Pegg <anttheli...@gmail.com> wrote:
> M?rtin Koppenhoefer <dieterdre...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Then it is a case for admin boundaries IMHO.
>
> I think I agree with this - and also with a comment from talk-us of tag it
> as place=township anyway
>
> One of the issues seems to be that the admin_level tag for the US seems very
> bare bones:
>
> 2 - national
> 4 - State
> 6 - Counties
> 8 - Everything else (everything!!) - and the townships ARE tagged as 8

I don't know about the rest of the country, but for Pennsylvania (and
neighboring New Jersey, which I'm more familiar with), this seems
correct.

(In Pennsylvania), townships, boroughs, and cities are all at the same
administrative level.

Of course, in terms of mapping, they probably shouldn't be treated the
same, which means the renderer, at least in those two states, should
probably ignore admin level > 6.

As far as administrative level, it's actually easier in Pennsylvania
and New Jersey than it is in say Florida, where some places are
governed at level 6 (e.g. unincorporated Hillsborough County), and
others are governed at level 8 (the city of Tampa, which is within
Hillsborough County).  In New Jersey, everywhere is incorporated.  I
believe it is the same in Pennsylvania, based on the maps and my
reading.

But I believe most of the US is more like Florida, in that some places
are incorporated, and some places aren't.  So if you have a place at
administrative level 8, it means you have a city.

> but they also seem mostly tagged as place=town - which doesn't seem right
>
> Does this mean I need to go on a campaign and write proposal for adding
> place=township?

Probably not.  I thought place=* tags were based on population.
That's what the wiki says.  You gotta remember that pretty much every
tag key in OSM has to be treated as though it's written in foreign
language if you're in a backwards place like the United States.

So everything outside of the townships would be mapped from
Pennsylvania designations into OSM ones based on population:

*First and second class cities -> city
**that would be Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, and Scranton
*Third class cities -> town
*Borough -> village (larger boroughs) or hamlet (smaller boroughs)

Which leaves the question of whether or not to map townships as places
at all.  Looking at the map, townships seem to be what's left over
when you subtract out the cities and boroughs, so that would lead me
to say no.  But if someone more familiar with Pennsylvania can argue
otherwise, s/he'd probably be right.