On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 11:06 AM, M∡rtin Koppenhoefer <
dieterdre...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2010/10/20 Peter Budny <pet...@gatech.edu>:
> > 2. Defining how "important" a city is (and thus, how big its label on
> > the map should be) is a tricky thing to do.  Population is certainly a
> > large factor, but how do you define this?  The City of Atlanta is the
> > #33 most populous city in the US, with 540,000 people, but the Atlanta
> > metropolitan area is #9 with 5,475,000 people and is the largest metro
> > area in 800 miles.
>

> good you mention this, there are similar cases in Europe. E.g.
> Stuttgart counts 601.646 inhabitants, but the metropolitan area has
> 5.3 Million ranking 12th in Europe before Munich (5.2 Million
> met.area, 1.33 million inhabitants city)
>
> http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropolregion#Die_gr.C3.B6.C3.9Ften_Metropolregionen_Europas
>
> We already have had similar discussions on the German list, where the
> result was to add as much detail as you can to help the rendering
> application choose the one they are interested in.
>
> The resulting matrix is here (in German, sorry):
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/DE:Anzeige_von_St%C3%A4dten#Deutschland
>
> The legend:
>
> HS = Hauptstadt --- capital
> MR = Metropolregion --- metropolitan region
> F = Flughafen --- airport
> H = Überseehafen --- harbour with overseas traffic
> B = Bahnknotenpunkt --- important railway intersection
> OZ = Oberzentrum --- main regional centre (?)
> MZ = Mittelzentrum  --- medium regional centre (?)
> Uni = University, one x per 10 000 students
>
> another approach from the same page is titled "dominance" where
> dominance expresses the distance to the next "higher" (in terms of
> importance / population) place. The higher (in terms of distance) the
> more dominant.
>
> This serves to determine which names to show and which to omit. (in
> scarse areas you would want to see also smaller places, but in
> concentrated areas you will have to omit also big cities in favour of
> even bigger (or more important according to a scheme like the above
> described one) ones.
>
> cheers,
> Martin

Very interesting, Martin, thanks for sharing.  Two things I'm unclear on is
1) whether this matrix influences what "place" level the city gets (or maybe
these are all large enough cities, so this point doesn't matter), and 2)
what is the mechanism to get this info to the label renderer, because I
don't see anything on the "place" node.

Brad