Richard,

Why 'should' they be a tram stop? Is that a convention I don't know about? I
can't derive it from the descriptions in the wiki.

The local situation here in Salt Lake is actually a little more complicated.
TRAX is definitely a light rail system (With Siemens SD-100 and Avanto sets)
but for significant stretches runs on former heavy rail trackbeds that the
transit authority owned or bought the rights of way of. As far as I can tell
the original heavy rail tracks are used, at least on some stretches. Of
course new signaling and overhead wires were installed.

Martijn

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 3:38 AM, Richard Mann <
richard.mann.westoxf...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Trams and street-running light rail should have railway=tram_stop. Put
> in a sub-tag if you want to distinguish different types.
>
> If your light-rail system runs onto heavy rail (eg famously in
> Karlsruhe), and shares stations with heavy rail passenger services,
> then use railway=station on the clearly heavy rail sections.
>
> I'd avoid using railway=light_rail in marginal cases - I think some
> people use it for S-bahn services (loco-hauled double-deck carriages;
> definitely not lightweight!), and the tagging isn't entirely helpful
>
> Richard
>
> On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 9:59 AM, Steve Bennett <stevag...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 2:59 PM, Martijn van Exel <m...@rtijn.org> wrote:
> >> A light rail stop, would that be a railway=tram_stop or a
> railway=station?
> >
> > Sounds like a third option is required. Here (Melbourne, Australia)
> > tram stops vary from just a sign on a telephone pole to "super stops"
> > (raised platforms, safety barriers and ticket machines) to former
> > train stations that now only serve light rails. The first are clearly
> > "railway=tram_stop", the last are really "railway=station" (but it
> > would be misleading to render them exactly the same as a real train
> > station), but the super stops are really something else, some subclass
> > of tram_stop maybe.
> >
> > Steve

martijn van exel
schaaltreinen.nl