On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 7:58 PM, Martin Koppenhoefer
<dieterdre...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2011/9/27 Nathan Edgars II <nerou...@gmail.com>:
>> On 9/27/2011 4:57 PM, Gérard wrote:
>> Given that studies disagree about what makes a street safe for cyclists, any
>> tagging would be based not on safety but on how comfortable the mapper feels
>> while riding in his or her preferred style. Use hazard:bicycle if there's a
>> specific hazard (e.g. door zone bike lane, badly-positioned drainage grates,
>> angled railway crossing, attack dogs that chase cyclists). Otherwise safety
>> depends much more on how defensively the cyclist rides than how the street
>> is designed.

+1

Unfortunately this is true. What's needed is to document the objective
facts about a roadway that can then be interpreted to give a safety
level tailored to each rider, whether a 10 year old biking to school
or a seasoned road biker who doesn't mind occupying a travel lane on a
35 mph road.

We need to look at existing bike level of service metrics and figure
out what components can be easily recorded by the average mapper, and
create our own set of metrics to determine road safety:
http://www.bikelib.org/bike-planning/bicycle-level-of-service/
(search "bicycle level of service" for many more)

Some of of the more important ones:
Through lanes (see recent lanes=* discussion, ambiguity of total vs.
through lanes, maybe lanes:through=*)
Width of outside lane (no tags for this AFAIK)
Shoulder details (width, surface: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Shoulder)
Traffic volume (will have to post-process from government/private
data, as almost 100% think this doesn't belong in OSM, due to
variability and difficulty of measurement)
Speed limit (maxspeed=*)

Perhaps we should start a new discussion thread on developing these criteria?

-Josh