This discussion has happened before. I guess it will happen again.

The argument that more hard-core riders can't judge the bicycle
friendliness of a road is ridiculous. Any bicycle friendliness tags
will obviously be targeted at average commuting cyclists. The fact
that *I* ride along a road regularly in padded lycra shorts doesn't
mean I would recommend it to others or that little Bobby should use it
to get to school. There may certainly be occasional differences of
opinion but, well... welcome to OSM.

And yes, it would be nice to have every minute detail of a road tagged
in OSM. But let's be realistic here. Especially in the US, we're lucky
to even have mappers to correct major geometry problems. Lanes,
maxspeeds, shoulder width, etc won't be in a usable condition in OSM
(at least in most of the midwestern US) for years to come. But people
who are intereseted in cycling can (and have) easily add a single tag
and get some basic data into the system. If the data ever gets good
enough that these general, somewhat subjective tags aren't needed then
by all means, remove them. As always with OSM, things iterate towards
completeness.

Toby