Am 20. Februar 2012 14:21 schrieb Volker Schmidt <vosc...@gmail.com>:
>> There is consensus that the key
>> "height" is describing the height of the structure from the ground to
>> the top.
> +1   (I think there is no other way of doing it)

well, you could say that height is the maximum vertical extension and
thus also comprising the underground part of a structure.

>> There is also consensus to tag elevation data in WGS84 (so
>> that numbers in local systems would typically have to be converted
>> before you can enter them).
> I do not understand what that means. For me height is always in meters, and
> meters don't change with the system of reference (unless they move close to
> the speed of light )

It's not the meters that change, it is where you set your 0.00 level
that is changing

>> b) ele is the elevation of the highest point at the tagged spot, i.e.
>> the top of the tower
> I would say abolutely not, even though there are examples where, say a
> restaurant on top of a tower gives the elevation from see level, but that
> most likely be altitude and not elevation.

well, this is what one could read from the current wiki definition
(which we could make less ambiguous after this discussion).

cheers,
Martin