I don't see why this discussion is so complicated.
OSM tags are based on British English terms for historic reasons.
In that contest there is a clean-cut distinction between a roundabout and a
mini-roundabout:
Quote from Wikipedia: "Mini-roundabouts can be a painted circle or a low
dome but must be fully traversable." (from:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini_roundabout#Mini-roundabouts)
A small round-about, that has an obstacle in the middle (example:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Pacionfi.JPG), is not a mini_roundabout,
but a roundabout, albeit a small one.

Volker
(Padova, Itlay)