I guess(!) the discussion is so complicated, because some people
misinterpreted for whatever reason a mini-roundabout with a small
roundabout, tagged it as mini and now don't want to fix all their
existing tags.

I can understand (but not support) the latter, but I don't understand
why we shouldn't tag new minis correctly. Maybe because drawing a
circle and tagging it with highway=* and junction=roundabout is more
work than simply placing a node and adding highway=mini_roundabout?
This might be a reason, but it doesn't make it right.

Does a plugin for JOSM exist, which replaces a single node on the
connection of two ways, by a circle? Shouldn't be too hard to
implement and might convince a few.

Martin