Strictly speaking the international E-numbers are routes, not roads. The European Route Network is overlaid on top of the national networks and doesn't bother about international boundaries. In Belgium however it is very common to use the E-route numbers on signs instead of any local A-number where a motorway is part of the ERN. In this case I would say that int_ref and ref should have the same value - ref should be used for what's on the signs. If the motorway has an underlying A-number (purely for administrative purposes) then this might fit in nat_ref.

In the UK, the E-numbers are not signed at all, but there are ERN routes there. For example the E20: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_route_E20 which runs from Ireland to Russia.

Colin