On 16.10.2012 01:07, Anthony wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 5:23 PM, Tobias Knerr <o...@tobias-knerr.de> wrote:
>> realistic rendering, particularly 3D "virtual reality".
>> Physical separation and road markings look quite different  from each
>> other and should therefore also look different in that kind of rendering
>> - whether it is in, say, a virtual globe or maybe a road/lane assistant
>> type of application.
>
> As long as you have width information on the ways, I don't see the
> problem.  The amount of physical separation, whether it be an inch
> between two lines, or a meter, should be easily calculated from the
> data.

There are actually several problems:

* Most importantly, neither width tags nor the distance between two
parallel ways are mapped with one-inch accuracy.

* If you represent the two lines as a separation between ways, then you
don't know that the two lines are there - so you cannot render them.

* The "physical separation" between two road marking lines is part of
the same paved surface as the rest of the highway. If you do not know
that this is the case, you cannot render this as a paved surface either.

Tobias