"Eckhart Wörner" <ewoer...@kde.org> wrote:

> Hi Svavar,
>
> Am Montag, 15. Oktober 2012, 18:26:02 schrieb Svavar Kjarrval:
> > I think most laws require that even emergency vehicles observe
> > restrictions like oneway streets. If there are any restrictions
> which
> > can be broken in case of emergency vehicles, I think they'd program
> > their routing software to them.
>
> at least in Germany, emergency vehicles can ignore all rules of the
> roads if necessary (they are not allowed to endanger other traffic
> though).
>
> Eckhart

The emergency vehicles in the USA are also allowed to disobey traffic laws in
an emergency.  They have to have the flashing lights and siren on, and take
precautions to watch out for regular traffic.  For example, a police car, fire
truck, or ambulance on an emergency call can go through an intersection even if
the traffic signals have ordinary traffic stopped, but they slow down enough to
check for any ordinary traffic approaching the intersection on the
cross-street, since some drivers may have not figured out which direction the
siren sound is coming from.

--
John F. Eldredge --  j...@jfeldredge.com
"Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better than not to