2012/11/13 Malcolm Herring <malcolm.herr...@btinternet.com>:
> "seamark:" is the OpenSeaMap prefix for any marine navigation object that
> appears in the IHO object catalogue. That does not cover only markers, but
> any object that can appear on a marine chart.

I am aware of this idea behind, but I don't second it. Neither the
makers of bicycle maps not the makers of public transport maps or
those who make hiking maps are using a tagging scheme with lots of
prefixes like bicycle-mark:type=ordinary_facility
bicycle-mark:ordinary_facility=bicycle_pump or stuff like this. Keep
it simple. We are all using the same database, and having overly long
tags doesn't help for clarity. There is no point in having all objects
that appear on a certain type of map with the same prefix, you will
have to know the specific tags anyway.

>> 2. the tagging scheme seems unnecessarily complicated
>
> Yes it is, but it was invented by the IHO, not us. We merely transcribed it
> into OSM format tags.

yes, this is actually part of the critics: the tags were merely
transcribed from another system but it would have been desirable to
adopt the system to the way OSM organizes tags, at least for stuff
that was already tagged differently in OSM.

>> 3. most of the objects already have a nice short tag, instead of ....

> There are many objects that are of interest to both StreetMap and SeaMap
> consumers. In these cases, tags from both schemes would be used.

Mere duplication of the tag values within different keys doesn't
really help anyone. There shouldn't be recommendations for stuff that
already has its own tag in OSM but this small craft facilites page is
full of them.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OpenSeaMap/Small_Craft_Facilities

I'd also question tag couples like "foo=bar" together with "bar=xyz"
if "foo=bar" doesn't convey a reasonable amount of information (i.e.
where you would never be able to use foo=bar without bar=xyz).

cheers,
Martin