On 2013-07-10 15:35, Maarten Deen wrote :
Is there a deeper meaning of adding foot=yes or bicycle=yes to highway=track or highway=path without adding other limitations? I thought track and path are by default routable for foot and bicycle, so IMHO they add nothing.
I think it's a question of defaults.  If one exists and the value matches, then the key is not needed.  Otherwise, it is.
Some persons have tackled the definition of defaults like  Relations/Proposed/Defaults.
I make no claim about the value of that proposition or another, just stumbled upon.  But while reading this list I have often thought that defaults vary from one place to another and that phrases "looking right before crossing" depend much on default-driving-side=right/left.  This fact is obvious to someone driving or, hopefully, crossing but not to a program.
I had sketched an idea about defining defaults for traffic zones, like urban speed limit, but without success.
I think that if defaults were defined, much time would be spared repeatedly discussing everybody's opinion about one or another.

Cheers,

André.