(response to message archived at
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2013-August/014639.html )

I took a look around and likely the closest match, albeit still a far one,
would be "Trail riding station" which is listed among features on the page
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Riding .  It is telling that though there
are ~500 used instances of route=horse, there are no instances for either
route=mule, route=donkey or route=pack_animal.  So I think that the whole
matter of mapping verrry rugged terrain where only pack animals have a
reasonable chance of traversing terrain is relatively un-addressed so far.  In
the case you are looking at, what type of route are you working with?  Does it
have a designated or preferred animal permissive?  Or is it a standard horse
route which would be tagged with smoothness=impassable and surface=ground?
--ceyockey