Here's an example pack station: http://www.kennedymeadows.com/

I'd say the horse operation is first a "*coral*".
Second it is the type of coral that has *offerings for the public.*
And third it offers *cargo transport via horse.*

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Riding as you noted use a more direct
approach with a tourism=trail_riding_station,
the problem being that it is often not clear what the most important of
several services at such location is.  Is the
trail ride operation the most important?  The cargo operation?

If you can tag it first as a "horse operation with public services" and
subtag for the cargo services, I think you're on a good
track.

Not attempting to follow existing convention it might look like:

amenity=stable
access=customers
services=day trips; cargo dropoff; overnight trips; instruction; feed
animal_boarding=horse
feeding:for=horse
website=http://www.example.com/

With both free form services offered, and certain developed tags like
"feeding:for".