On Sat, Feb 22, 2014 at 11:51 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer
<dieterdre...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I have now tagged such an area with
>>
>> landuse=depot
>> barrier=fence
>> depot=public_works
>> (access=private maybe?)
>>
>> ok? (atm all on the same way)
>>

> I believe using the same geometry as line and as polygon at the same time on
> the same object is a little bit problematic. Barrier=fence is supposed to be
> a linear feature, while landuse and depot are probably areas. I'd rather use
> a multipolygon for the latter and leave just the linear tags on the way.

I've thought about it a bit, and now I know I see it more as a
fence=yes tag on the main tag, I won't draw the geometry for the
fence, it's not worth it. But I got some flak from Dee on this as
well. So obviously there are lots of people who think it's bad doing
this.

So I guess the final say is how this is handled by the tools that use
the . If they can handle stuff like this with ease, then I see no
reason to  duplicate a way just to add a fence, or making it over
complicated by letting two ways share nodes or a multipolygon from
multipleways..

I consider over zealous use of multipolygons and node sharing harmfull for OSM.

--
/emj