On 2014-03-16 22:37, Fernando Trebien wrote :
Hello,

Following from this conclusion
(https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2014-March/016904.html),
I'm now trying to find a way to use tracktype, smoothness and surface
to improve routing quality. For an average 4 passenger car (not an
SUV, not a truck, not a motorcycle), I believe that:

1. Maximum "safe speed" is limited by how regular the surface is and
also by how dense the surface material is. The exact material (in the
"surface" tag) is not so important for routing as are these other two
qualities (smoothness and material density).

2. Smoothness and surface density could be somewhat guessed from
"surface" tag in most cases, and smoothness and tracktype could refine
this guess.

Following a gentle dispute on OSM-talk-be about the class of a particular road, I pointed out without any follow-up  that road classification (primary ... tertiary, as well as national ... local on IGN maps) is very subjective but that the road width is very objective.  Moreover, the width can be very easily measured with JOSM on Bing.
Of course, the closely related parameter is speed.
Two other optimizing data for routing appear to be readily available: declivity as contour lines and straightness which is computable from the map of the road.
I think that the only left parameter (beside varying weather, of course) is what you deal with: surface.
Not only "will the car be hopping?" but also "is it slippery?", the latter only as a local condition.

If we could find an indisputable value for road surface, we could build a very valuable routing database, probably innovative but unfortunately easy to steal.
But could we find an objective measure of the surface?  That is, such that everyone comes the the same value, not subjective.

While reading your texts, I've had a crazy idea:  measuring vibration in the car. There are Android vibration measuring programs like Vibration Monitoring.  Alas, car vibration is very much dependent on car suspension.  But would some of us experiment this or another idea and come up with a solution?

Wouldn't it be great to organize a well thought out worldwide road quality tagging party?

Sadly, traffic restriction tagging is in a miserable state.  People even laugh at me, and that is at themselves, when I talk of GPS.  More of this later, I hope.

Cheers,

André.