Even so, we would still have to presume things about the driver's
personality (an adventurous person would not care much about rougher
surfaces, while a precaucious one would probably rather avoid them).
We can pick a "standard" personality (we don't even know that very
well without some statistics, do we?) or we can probe other people and
then apply statistics on the results.

Do you think my subjective sense is too off centre? Maybe you could
provide speeds you think will be acceptable by most people and we can
then compare and see how many people agree with each proposal, or
disagree. If we get no further opinions, at least we can start with
the average of our values, which is better than having them come from
a single person whose experience may be distorted in some specific
situations.

On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 11:29 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer
<dieterdre...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Following a gentle dispute on OSM-talk-be about the class of a particular
>> road, I pointed out without any follow-up  that road classification (primary
>> ... tertiary, as well as national ... local on IGN maps) is very subjective
>> but that the road width is very objective.
>

> yes, the highway classification is slightly subjective but as osm shows, the
> cloud can usually find a commonly accepted values, so this doesn't seem to
> be a real problem (also because it doesn't really matter if a road is
> classified as secondary rather than primary, and more than one class up or
> down is usually not the range up to discussion). Of course everybody is free
> to add a road width as well, there is the tag "width" for this, and also the
> tag "lanes". Unfortunately until now, only 5% of all highway-elements
> (admittedly not only roads) have the tag lanes and 1% has the tag width.
>

>>   Moreover, the width can be very easily measured with JOSM on Bing.
>

> you should be careful with the spherical mercator projection though, you
> might end up with different widths for the same width due to different
> latitudes, I am not sure how precise those measurements in JOSM actually are
> (some time ago they weren't but maybe this is fixed now).
>

>> Of course, the closely related parameter is speed.
>

> related to width? I do not think there is a close relation, at least not a
> reliable one.
>

>> While reading your texts, I've had a crazy idea:  measuring vibration in
>> the car. There are Android vibration measuring programs like Vibration
>> Monitoring.  Alas, car vibration is very much dependent on car suspension.
>> But would some of us experiment this or another idea and come up with a
>> solution?
>

> this sounds interesting indeed, while I agree that it mostly depends on the
> car suspension. With (unsuspended) bicycles this would be more reliable I
> guess, but still the ability of the driver / rider to avoid holes in the
> surface might make a huge difference (e.g. in Rome there are some very bad
> roads with profund holes that get tapped every now and then but later reopen
> due to the heavy traffic. If you are on roads that you drive often you
> almost automatically get the habit of avoiding them, also at higher speeds,
> because you know their exact locations by mind).
>
> cheers,
> Martin

Fernando Trebien
+55 (51) 9962-5409

"The speed of computer chips doubles every 18 months." (Moore's law)
"The speed of software halves every 18 months." (Gates' law)