Brazil has no official system of classification (there is an
"administrative" classification, which the Brazilian community found
useless to determine the way's "importance"), so we've come up with
this general recommendation (which may not be followed closely, in
which case the mapper should add a note explaining why):
http://i.imgur.com/YH8azIA.png

Visibility is an interesting criteria, do you take it into account
when deciding classification? Do you tag it?

On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 4:41 PM, Philip Barnes <p...@trigpoint.me.uk> wrote:
> On Fri, 2014-03-21 at 13:29 -0500, Paul Johnson wrote:
>

>> Does anyplace outside North America subjectively tag highway=* or is
>> it formally tied to the official classification in most places, such
>> as it is in the UK?
>
> In the UK, tertiary/unclassified/residential is subjective, other roads
> are tagged according to their official classification.
>
> In terms of routing in the UK, smoothness is not so much of an issue.
> The major factors are width (whether 2 vehicles can pass without slowing
> down), twistiness and visibility (the two go together, we have a lot of
> hedges which reduce forward visibility).
>
> Phil (trigpoint)

Fernando Trebien
+55 (51) 9962-5409

"The speed of computer chips doubles every 18 months." (Moore's law)
"The speed of software halves every 18 months." (Gates' law)