I agree with André Pirard that:
1. If we say it should be tagged on the way, it should be clearer how it
should be tagged (what if the cul-de-sac is splitted, etc)
2. "noexit" was a bad choice of name for this key

Personally I don't know if using noexit=yes on ways is used by any software
nowadays.
I wouldn't be surprised if the current legitimate uses of noexit=yes are
only on nodes.

But yeah, tagging on ways isn't exactly an error.