> the problem has more causes. But mainly people got used to use the
> layer=-1 as
> a cheap trick to hide all kinds of pesky keepright/JOSM warnings about
> missing
> bridges, incorrect crossings, waterway crossing waterway and a few more.
> The problem would also go away if validators would detect this abuse.

I see the *core* of the problem as validator warnings about crossings of
rivers and ways.  That goes for JOSM and KeepRight at least.

There's a sensible default assumption (the waterway is culverted under the
way) that serves pretty darn well.

If one could simply delete the layer=-1 on a waterway, without getting
yelled at by validators, then human effort could be directed to those true
oddball situations (like canals crossing each other) that really need
detailed tagging.

---
Thus the proposal: swap the validator warning about way crossing, with one
about inappropriate use of level.