    > Without any additional tags like "tunnel=*" or "covered=*", a
    > "layer=-1" river shouldn't be rendered differently than a
    "layer=1" or
    > even in the absence of any "layer" tag. This is a bug in OsmAnd. You

    except for the the very frequent case when the river with a layer=-1
    goes through a landuse=* area with a layer=0.

+1, as soon as there is any other object on a different layer, be it landuse, a place area or something else, with the lower layer tag you are excluding the river from this feature and putting it below.

Layer is a hint to the renderer. The item with the lowest layer value is drawn first, then the next highest and so on. In the example of where a road crosses a railway on a bridge, the railway (often default layer=0) is drawn, then the road (often layer=1) is drawn,casing first then inner and any part that crosses the railway obscures that part of the railway.

What you are saying is that the river (layer=-1) is drawn then the landuse (layer=0) is drawn over it, obscuring the river. This is clearly not intended and not what actually happens in Mapnik renders, which is much smarter than that.

Layer tag is a *hint* to the renderer, nothing more. In the case of a river (or road) passing through a landuse area the renderer doesn't need a hint and to say the river is somehow below the landuse does not make sense. The landuse is an arbitary, geopolitical invention, which we find useful and does not actually exist, therefore it cannot be above or below a river, nor is it an object that somehow needs separating from a river. Indeed the river can be part of a landuse area, such as an industrial wharf in the same way as a road can be part of a residential area.

--
Cheers, Chris
user: chillly