Mea culpa, except that the layer=* tag is a hint for the renderer.

Should I add layer=-1 to all the rivers and streams again?

If not, why not?

Best wishes,

Andrew

PS I didn't want to mention the lake that was tagged layer=-2, but I
fixed that too.  Having visited it I can confirm it is indeed on top
of the dirt underneath it.