Am 5/19/14 02:27 , schrieb Fernando Trebien:
Oberallgäu is currently mapped as a political (not an administrative)
boundary, so Sonthofen would be neither a capital, nor an
administrative center of any relation. Correctly, its node has no
capital=* or admin_level=* tags.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/62415

for the sake of clarity, I think it would be acceptable if we agreed
that:
- we place capital=* on actual capitals (not any admin_centre), since
using numbers is more flexible than capital=yes and state_capital=yes
(equivalent to capital=2 and capital=4)
- what the admin_centre role refers to is a government seat, and in
some rare situations there may be more than one
- we define a "capital" role in administrative boundary relations for
those rare cases where capital and government seat are different
cities

I simply don't like the idea of duplicate redundandant tags for the sake of there renderer, when the only argument in favour of it so far seems to be less effort to calculate it. Especially when looking for a long term solution and considering how different this is in different countries with all the exceptions. Not to mention that OpenStreetMap is a database in the first place.