> For what apart from Rendering will this "importance" be usefull?
>
> And I still think it would be missleading and will lead to confusion.
> Someone who wants to look up all state capitals might just check all nodes
> for capital=4 (because it's the logical thing to do) not knowing that it
> can only be done correctly by also looking at relations.

I don't see this as a problem. Looking for all state capitals is not within
the scope of the capital tag, as you will miss those which are also
capitals for bigger entities like countries. You might have to look up all
capital=1/2/3/4/yes places and remove those which aren't state (level 4)
capitals. Yes, rendering is probably the most important use case for this
tag, why should that be a problem?

cheers,
Martin