Honest question: are there capitals for something besides countries and
states?

If not, we could keep it simple:
* capital=yes for country capitals
* state_capital=yes for state capitals (already in use in some parts of
America <http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/state_capital#map>).

PS: Taginfo just released some new functionality, which allow us to compare
the different uses of the different keys "capital" around the world:
http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/compare/state_capital/capital_city/capital_level/is_capital/capital(note
that as demonstrated before, around 90% of the current values of the
key capital=* seems to be incorrectly tagged).
I'm not saying we should use the others, just though it was interesting.