Hello,

On 17 June 2014 11:24, Philip Barnes <p...@trigpoint.me.uk> wrote:
> I disagree with just using a number, the tags are there to indicate that the
> mapper had interpreted the speed limit from the type of road.
> Should the limits change they make finding the limits that require changes
> easier.

How do users find out what the maxspeed actually is there if they
don't have any external database, but just OSM dump? What you describe
is more a task source:*=* tags solve.

> The number should be tagged, and I would not expect a data consumer to use
> maxspeed tags, they are useful for validation.

Your expectation don't correspond the reality: these data are used
very often, so they need to be in a usable form.

--
Cheers,
  Andrew