There are several differences in my view:
1. When viewing the map offline, the user wants to see only rural roads
when zooming out really far.
2. If you don't have maxspeed for a particular way, a clever app that knows
typical speeds for each type of way in each country can make a more
educated guess. This leads to better routes and better time estimations.
3. The rural and the urban systems are often planned by different
authorities following very different prínciples. If one wished to study one
system, but not the other, it would be easier to filter out the data with
such a distinction.

This could all be solved either by a different classification system or
also by a new urban=no tag on the way.