Rather than introducing other tags, would it be better to just better
define and document what firepit should be used for?

Probably the best idea. The way I see it is that the main information people would be interested in if they can make BBQ there (and maybe heating). Then it would also be great to be able to combine it with tourism=picnic_site and tourism=camp_site. Maybe the solution for that is simply to use bbq=yes

amenity=fire_pit (we decide that it either implies bbq=yes or no and then you can use bbq=* if it doesn't)

amenity=bbq_grill

Do we want to be able to disinguish between a fire_pit and bbq_grill when tagging it on a tourism=camp_sit tag? Or would be bbq=yes be enough... thinking about it now it actually sounds like "bqq allowed".

Maybe use bbq=yes/no/fire_pit/grill/forbidden/permitted/official on those on tourism tags?

And are we actually interested in fireplace=yes? I found some heating=fireplace wouldn't that make more sense?