I see how calling those firepits contradicts the *literal* meaning of the
word, but just the same, there seems to be pretty widespread usage of the
word in that way, at least in the US. If someone in the UK could comment
about usage there, that might be helpful.

Maybe it could still work, e.g. the picture above was found searching for
> "Feuergrube" (literally translation for fire pit) and somehow could be
> called a "pit" even if the whole structure is raised above ground, as the
> inside (where you make the fire) is lower than the external wall.

Yes, it seems like the name "firepit" is as much an indication of the
function the structure serves as the specific makeup of the structure
itself.