On 01.07.2014 22:25, yvecai wrote:
> This map could also be done with a third project linking OSM and
> Wikidata by automatically linking both datasets instead of manual tag
> entry of technical references.
> Call Overpass for OSM data (admin boundaries), then search wikimedia
> commons for flags with the corresponding name.

But why would you prefer such a vague and error-prone style of linking
when unambiguous linking via ID is possible?

Even in very simple cases this is going to break down. Searching for
"flag Austria" on Wikimedia Commons, for example, gives you the
following top three hits:

1. http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Animated-Flag-Austria.gif
2. http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Flag_Austria_template.gif
3. http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Smile-flag_Austria.gif

The one we actually want is only ranked fourth:

4. http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Flag_of_Austria.svg

Wikidata, on the other hand, gets us straight to the one we want. How
isn't this the better solution?