> I removed the link to the key url=* because it's own wiki page advises it
> shouldn't be used, so I figured there was no need to link it here.

Thanks for pointing at this, I have amended this sentence to make more
sense, please check:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Key%3Aurl&diff=1060215&oldid=997125

> As far as I understood, although it might make sense to tag an URL in some
> cases, the meaning of this key is too generic, making it hard to be used by
> tools.
> Therefore it's better to use another key that better indicates the meaning
> or relation of the URL, such as website=*, wikipedia=* and so on (not sure
> if there are others).

+1, where one of these more specific tags can be applied, it is better to
use them, for the rest url will still remain a valid tag.

cheers,
Martin