On Jul 9, 2014, at 2:07 AM, François Lacombe wrote:

> JOSM already asking you a voltage=* tag on any power=* object.

Which I, as a mapper more interested in roads and trails, ignore as I don't
know what to put there and I'd rather have nothing than something that is wrong.

Many of the larger power lines (in a physical sense if not an electrical power
sense) on large metal pylons are visible on satellite imagery, but their
voltage isn't. So an "arm chair mapper" can show the location but not the
voltage.

When hiking or driving I can see the local "power poles" and sometimes guess if
they carry power or communications cables or both. And I can see and make the
distinction between a power line that is on large metal pylons and others.
Since some of these items are really useful as navigation landmarks in
undeveloped areas, I map them as I can. But that mapping will never include
voltage, whether it is AC or DC, etc as I don't know and have no easy way to
find out.

Cheers!