> Which I, as a mapper more interested in roads and trails, ignore as I
> don't know what to put there and I'd rather have nothing than something
> that is wrong.

You're absolutely right.

JOSM ask for voltage to encourage users to look for it.
If they don't know they'd rather ignore such warnings.

And the power=line object will be left without voltage=* for a while and
other mappers (like me) can complete it later.

> Many of the larger power lines (in a physical sense if not an electrical
> power sense) on large metal pylons are visible on satellite imagery, but
> their voltage isn't. So an "arm chair mapper" can show the location but not
> the voltage.

Arm chair mappers can look on public grid maps.
In France we can have such information on government's web pages.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_Power_networks/France#Cartes_RTE_.C3.A0_l.27.C3.A9chelle_r.C3.A9gionale

When hiking or driving I can see the local "power poles" and sometimes
> guess if they carry power or communications cables or both. And I can see
> and make the distinction between a power line that is on large metal pylons
> and others. Since some of these items are really useful as navigation
> landmarks in undeveloped areas, I map them as I can. But that mapping will
> never include voltage, whether it is AC or DC, etc as I don't know and have
> no easy way to find out.

The problem is the distinction you make. It won't be the same as your
colleagues or neighbours.
And no one in OSM will be aware of that.

I don't have a clue to what the most power=minor_line objects correspond to
exactly.

One more thing :
The proposal provides another definition for towers/poles. They're not used
with voltage distinction any more.
Then, if a line is carried by *heavy metal towers*, OSM will use
*power=tower* + design=* and if it is carried by *small poles*, we'll have
*power=pole* in the DB.

All the best

*François Lacombe*

http://www.infos-reseaux.com