> And: Why restrict to
> nodes? why not use a way relation as well for ways sharing the same spot
> (e.g. tram and highway, communication cables and water tubes, ...)

yes, there is also room for a way-relation, completely agree. Don't need it
currently, but I have already drawn overlapping ways in some rare
situations in the past with a bad feeling while doing it ;-)

> The relation makes using the data more difficult, but doesn't improve
> editing IMHO. If at all it circumvents misbehaviour of editor software
> (more or less automatic merging of nodes).

Whether editing will become easier or more difficult may be subject to
taste (and editor support), but there is also another aspect: semantics.
With an explicit relation you state that these nodes intentionally happen
to be on the same spot, while several nodes on the same coordinate will
mostly be considered an error (by some tools) and only loosely couple the
two (or more) nodes.

cheers,
Martin