Cool, thanks for the examples!  To clarify, I didn't say that method was
invalid, I was saying that it didn't look very common to me. From what you
sent, it appears I may be wrong about that. :)

So, it looks like there are two distinct approaches to using the
amenity=place_of_worship tag: 1) limiting it to the place of worship itself
usually a building, and 2) using it for the entire grounds a la
amenity=school. To circle back to the point of this thread, the question is
if someone follows method 1, what is the recommended way to tag the
grounds? There is usage and wiki documentation of landuse=religious. Martin
also mentioned putting religion=* and operator=* (and maybe other tags that
apply, like amenity=monastery for a monastery) on a way around the area.