In The Netherlands we more or less have agreement on this scheme
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Bicycle_tags_map#Cycleway_tags>for
tagging cycleways, cycle streets. I've also noticed this is totally
different from the schemes used in Germany and other countries. During the
discussion on the proposal use_cycleway
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Proposed_features/Bicycle_use_cycleway>
(now accepted tag=  use_sidepath
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:bicycle%3Duse_sidepath>) we've seen
there are many (legal) differences between countries.  There is no
agreement on how to tag different kind of cycleways. That's been a reason
for me to start tagging the traffic_sign tag on cycleways
<http://mijndev.openstreetmap.nl/~peewee32/traffic_sign/traffic_sign.htm>.
Once we get to an agreement on how to explicitly tag these we can easily
change that based on the traffic_sign tag.

My 2 cents
PeeWee32

> You mean the British legal definition of cycleway.
>>
>> Just to ad another bit of legal aspects in this. In Italy, on ways signed
>> like like this
>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:120px-Zeichen_240.svg.png, the
>> pedestran has priority over he cyclist.
>>

> This is true also for Poland, and cyclist may not use road next to route
> like this that would lead in the same direction.
> And there is a separate name for ways signed like this (ciąg
> pieszo-rowerowy).

Verbeter de wereld. Word mapper voor Openstreetmap
<http://www.openstreetmap.org>.