> Il giorno 19/ago/2014, alle ore 10:55, SomeoneElse
> <li...@mail.atownsend.org.uk> ha scritto:
>
> It's worth noting that all of the countries listed there (bar a few, some
> already mentioned) have "foot=yes" on a cycleway either all the time or in
> some circumstances -

Have a closer look and you'll find that in many countries pedestrians aren't
permitted on cycleways, and in a lot of conditional yes cases they are only
permitted if there is no footway close.

There are also some countries like Norway, Finland or Australia which allow
bikes on footways

> and of course you can separately list access tags for bicycle, foot, or
> spacehoppper if you think that it needs to be clarified.

I agree that indeed detailed access tags remove all this ambiguity and putting
them is a good thing.

> Let's keep "highway=cycleway" for "this thing looks like it is designed for
> cyclists"

the reality in many countries is that a dedicated sign (or road marking) is
required for the tag highway=cycleway

cheers,
Martin