been tagging a while in Japan, and a lot of larger infrastructure things -
roads, motorways, train stations, have english names added in parenthesis, such
as for
Tokyo Station [東京駅] :

name=東京 (Tokyo)
Name:ja=東京
name:en=Tokyo

There are hundreds of things that care labeled that way, I continued adding
them for my area - and makes the basic set of the OSM data readable outside
Japan - but Japanese names or English only maps would pull the clean render.

I assumed this was a convention here in Japan, and I have been been working to
look up the english tags and adding the English to the Japanese in the above
format.

Considering most large transportation places, even tollway exits, are clearly
labeled in Japanese and English, this convention seemed a good solution for the
general name.

Today I noticed a professional and prolific tagger in my area has been deleting
off all the english in parenthesis.

Is there in OSM wide set for this? pulling all the default "(English)" labels
off of an internationally focused map seems truly backwards.

I know doing basic business tagging and whatnot may not need that, but for
Transportation?

Whats the deal there?

Javbw