On 2014-09-13 17:02, Matthijs Melissen wrote :
> On 13 September 2014 15:41, Satoshi IIDA <nyamp...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> But a few insists the bilingual RENDERING on osm.org or on other
>> alternative (apps or tiles or so).
> This suggestion is in fact currently under discussion:
> https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues/803
I have occasionally privately discussed similar issues with this or that
renderer.
The best you can find is renderers that force the name display to the
configured UI language.
(examples: configuring the browser to request fr replies or some program
to display fr messages)
None of them agreed that it is worth forcing the name display to yet
another alternative language.
Among languages is that peculiar dummy language called 'the native
language on the map" name=*.

And now we have a quite valid "display names in two languages" request !!!

I think that OSM should publish for renderers a "map names language
requirements" document gathering such language facts, including the
following "/*names language configuration*/", much the same way as I
published a document helping programmers
<ftp://ftp.ulg.ac.be/pub/docs/iso8859/iso8859.networking.txt> to
understand how to use character codes 20 years ago when only ASCII was used.

  * native: just display name=*
  * no configuration: defaults to native
  * ll (language ISO code): try to use language ll, else use native
  * UI language: use the client UI language configuration for ll
  * ll bilingual: display name=* plus language ll falling back to English

A typically misconceived case is Osmand:
They have a setting for the (UI) language of the message Osmand
displays, including that of the system.
That's all-right.
Beside that, they have 'Select between native and English names".
Why just "English names" and not "native/UI/specific languages names"?.

The misconception is often thinking that all the world speaks English or
at least should understand it, or that every user uses a single language.
This was the case of those howto video clips on Youtube: only 15% of the
watchers could understand them because they are in English (not counting
very particular English accents getting the number even lower).  I say
"was" because they finally did use what I had imagined: subtitles
translated by Google.  What I had not imagined though, is that laziness
would make them use voice recognition instead of writing subtitles
(small menu on the right of bottom bar).  Doubling the number of
translation errors that way is often a reason by itself to have fun
watching those videos.

こん ばんは (bonsoir (good evening))

André.