On Sep 13, 2014, at 7:03 PM, Stephan Knauss <o...@stephans-server.de> wrote:

> No local mapper wants to read München (Munich) on the map. So why should
> Japanese or Chinese mappers want to read something on their map?

- if they were using a Japanese only map, then I can understand, but that would
be pulling from the name:ja= tag, right?

- every single major sign, Street name, Highway exit, Large train station
identifying sign, City Building label, etc is labeled in English as well as
Japanese. Every single one of the 2000 or so tollway exits are labeled in
english, and the hundreds of thousands of blue intersection road signs are also
printed bi-lingually as well - as a service to the forigners living there, as
mastering reading and understanding all the Kanji for the various place names
takes a decade or so of straight practice.

 If they sign most everything imaginable that is important in Japanese +
English, having it mapped that way too seems reasonable.

Understanding that this "JA (en)" schema is bad for the database makes sense -
but couldn't those also be pulling from the name:*= tags?

Javbw