After thinking more about the tag name question: It may be useful to use
for the complex situation at least the same key as for their conterpart in
simple situations. This is intuitive (usability), and at the same time the
tags for the simple and for the complex situation are mutually exclusive,
which can be practical. Means:

Korea:
– simple: junction=yes
– complex: junction=junction_area

Japan:
– simple: highway=traffic_signals
– complex: highway=traffic_signals_area

I’ve updated the proposal page on the wiki.

Lukas Sommer