It seems that Pieren and I agree on most points.

@François
Maybe drinkable water is a very special case... but here service/use
is much more important than object/feature. The ability to find this
water on a map or from any data consumer is useful. It can even be
essential to many people from hikers and bikers to inhabitants and
humanitarian NGO where water is in short supply.

Also consider the possibility of a open data import of geolocalised
water points. We should import them for added value even if the
supporting physical man_made=* is unknown.

You must tag what you know and what is useful.
man_made=water_[object] is useful.
amenity=drinking_water/non_drinking_water is useful.

Let's tag one or the other and both when we can. For me there is no
conflict or hierarchy between these two keys.