On 20/03/2015 6:20 PM, John Willis wrote:

I haven't had a chance to read up on how to define the fuel type.

I imagine there is various heating oils, propane and kerosene, LNG, coal, wood, different
grades of gas, diesel, aviation fuel, jet fuel, etc - even "farm gas" which has
different taxes.

How can those be defined - esp if a shop sells more than one ( like my Japanese
gas station that also sells kerosene?)

Read the wiki? http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:fuel

that lists various octane ratings, LPG, wood, electric, diesel...

It misses on various things as it is designed for amenity=fuel ...
but has been expanded for amenity=bbq ... that expansion has not followed the
same system though.

You can change it .. or make proposals here. Just don't change the existing
values and it should be fine.
I'd think you'd be adding heating oils, propane and kerosene.
I'd leave the avgas and jet fuel for later when aviation types want it, not
something you normally see for sale.
'Opal' fuel is a special petrol that exists in 'outback' Australia .. maybe
that could be added.
it discourages kids sniffing petrol and ending up without brains. Some people
use avgas in their vehicles for the same purpose.

Javbw