The trailhead proposal is long overdue. They are common around areas I've
> lived in the US. They usually have limited parking, signage, sometimes a
> place to pay, and some even have permanent or portable restrooms. Thanks
> for creating the proposal.

I also agree and thank you for your effort.

However, I don't understand why the area around the trailhead, even if it
has a bunch of facilities, cannot have those simply tagged using existing
amenity tags: amenity=toilets, amenity=parking, tourism=information, etc.
Each of these can have its own subtags if appropriate, e.g., fee=yes/no,
access=*, or what have you. I suppose marking out an area might be useful
in a few rare cases but creating a relation would probably be overkill IMO.

I also agree that a trailhead is a place to access a trail from another
way, be it a highway or service road, and that while it might be the only
access to the trail, other trailheads often exist. Easy to map as a node
shared by both ways.

Cheers,
Dave

On Mon, Apr 13, 2015 at 5:12 AM, Clifford Snow <cliff...@snowandsnow.us>
wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 12, 2015 at 5:38 PM, Greg Troxel <g...@ir.bbn.com> wrote:
>
>> Clifford Snow <cliff...@snowandsnow.us> writes:
>>
>> > The trailhead proposal is long overdue. They are common around areas
>> I've
>> > lived in the US. They usually have limited parking, signage, sometimes a
>> > place to pay, and some even have permanent or portable restrooms. Thanks
>> > for creating the proposal.
>>
>> agreed.
>>
>> > A node for the location of a trailhead make sense. But help me
>> understand
>> > when a trailhead way or relation would apply. I would suggest
>> explaining it
>> > on the wiki.
>>
>> I think the basic issue is that people do not conceptualize "trailhead"
>> as the literal junction of the trail and the road that it crosses.   The
>> trailheed is a place with some extent, arguably an area, that covers the
>> parking area and any other associated amentities, and has specific trail
>> access points which are the junction of the trails and the
>> parking/builtup area, even if the trails begin again on the other side
>> of the car road.  So it's an area with some specific nodes that are on
>> the way of the area and also on a trail.
>>
>> > I would also characterize a tailhead as an access point to a trail
>> instead
>> > of the beginning of a trail.
>>
>> agreed, and it's not just any place you can get to the trail, but a
>> place that people are intended to use to start on the trail.
>>
>> (I am pretty sure Clifford and I agree,, but explaining that in case
>> there's a US-centric difference in meaning lurking here.)
>

> +1
>

> --
> @osm_seattle
> osm_seattle.snowandsnow.us