But I'd be willing to bet that most trails are not part of a network of
other trails or a route but are stand-alone. The trails I once hiked in the
Adirondack Mountains in New York State all have names and trailheads but,
with a couple of exceptions, are not part of any route. I think the mixed
approach is best. If a given trail is part of  a larger system of trails,
or the area where it begins has related amenities, then the relation idea
makes sense. Otherwise, keeping it simple with a named trailhead node where
the transition from highway to footway takes place will suffice.

On Wed, Apr 15, 2015 at 11:06 PM, Friedrich Volkmann <b...@volki.at> wrote:

> On 14.04.2015 23:32, Gmail wrote:
> > role=start is used for crosscountry ski routes relations.
>
> I like the idea to include trailheads as members of route relations.
>
> It's a more versatile approach than highway=trailhead.
>
> --
> Friedrich K. Volkmann       http://www.volki.at/
> Adr.: Davidgasse 76-80/14/10, 1100 Wien, Austria

Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska
Chiang Mai, Thailand