I get your, er, point, although I don't think you would want to randomly
wander into a batting cage or hockey rink in the middle of practice either.
:)

The bigger issue is there are over 1300 sport=archery tags, and both on the
wiki and in actual usage, leisure=pitch (or sports_centre) is what's used
with them, not range. Maybe there's a distinction one could make for range,
but frankly, archery is the tag that'll let people know there are likely to
be arrows flying around.