On 17/04/2015, Marc Gemis <marc.ge...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It will be hard to come up with a number to distinguish between the two. As
> others have pointed out on this mailing list before, the actual number of
> items that can be tagged with a certain tag matters.
> So in case there are only 600 items in the whole world of that "thing", it
> is de-facto. If there are e.g. 1.000.000 such "things", it's more "inuse"
> than "de-facto"

A more useful metric is how many different contributors used the tag.
1000 uses by a single user doesn't mean much.

> On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 12:54 PM, Friedrich Volkmann <b...@volki.at> wrote:
>> I recently came across a never proposed tag with some 600 uses marked
>> "de-facto". If that's the way to bypass the proposal process, I will
>> never care about proposals any more.

How do you know there was any intent to bypass the proposal process ?
Tags can reach widespread use without ever having been discussed or
documented. Somebody documenting this in a "de-facto proposal" after
the fact is a good thing. That doesn't invalidate the usefullness of
the more formal tag-creation process using the wiki and mailing-list.

>> I will set all the tags I invented to "inuse"
>> as soon as I used them once, and to "defacto" as soon as I used them
>> twice, because 2 uses are widespread compared to 1.

There's obviously some threshold where it's reasonable. Don't mock
using an extreme value, it just devaluates your good argument.